Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Piper at the Gates of -- Jail

Dennis Riley, the Southernmost Bagpiper for the past 26 years, was arrested by Key West police on Monday afternoon as he piped down the sun from City property next to Mallory Square. The arrest was made based on a complaint from Joyce Domenico, manager of the grounds at the Hilton properties, location of an alternate sunset celebration very near Mallory Square.


You saw Dennis' picture here at the Coffee Plantation on February 10th, in full regalia. Now here's his mug shot, and his arrest record.

Arrest Date: 02/20/2006 CAD #: Offense #: KWPD06OFF1115
Name: RILEY, DENNIS FRANK DoB:08/29/1953 Age:52 Sex:M Race:W
Address: 1023 WHITEHEAD ST., KEY WEST , FL 33040
Occupation: PERFORMER
Arrest Location: 245 FRONT STREET, KEY WEST
Charges:1 Misdemeanor Count(s) of 810.09.2b
TRESPASSING FAIL TO LEAVE PROPERTY UPON ORDER BY OWNER
Officer/Agency: KWPD, - KWPD Bond Amount: $0

The incident came about when Dennis challenged a performer on the Hilton Pier to lower the volume of his amplified music, which was directed towards the corner at Mallory Square where Riley has been playing for as long as there has been a sunset celebration. The Hilton Pier attempts to attract people off the main Mallory Square location by a variety of means in hope of attracting customers to the bars they have set up in several locations on their privately-owned pier.

Dennis first asked the "musician" playing reggae tunes on a synthesizer keyboard to lower the volume so people at Mallory Square could hear his un-amplified pipes. When the Hilton performer refused, Dennis strode on to the bridge separating the two properties and began playing there. It was then that Domenico called police and demanded that Riley be made to leave the bridge, which is City property where he was standing. When Dennis held his ground, police took him to the ground, kilts flying, and transported him to the Monroe County jail for booking.

Some of our customers, friends of Dennis, are going to tell tourists and visitors to avoid the Hilton Pier at sunset, since they are bad neighbors to the long-running official Sunset Celebration.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They may take our Sporran, but they can never take...

Our Honour!!

Fight the MAN!

2/23/2006 2:27 PM  
Blogger Mike Mongo said...

Let me tell you what, if you are going to be arrested for something, make it bagpiping. Man, what a great story! I'm glad I checked in. Hilarious and outrageous at the same time. Like I said, when you gotta be arrested, make it stand for something. (BTW, terrific description, I am in tears writing this, I can just see it, KW'S Finest tackling the Piper in full regalia at a Sunset celebration. I bet THAT's something you don't get to see in Toledo. And we wonder why so many people enjoy visiting Key West. It's because reality television pales in comparison. What could beat this, an invasive force from Jamaica? Explode-on-contact jellyfish? Paintball riots? Whatever happens be sure and say "Hi Mongo!" when the cable TV videocameras show up.

2/28/2006 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, NC girl here again. I forgot to say, "I miss you Dennis." I finally got my life in order. You helped me and you probably can't remember me, but if you do, know that you are a great person with a huge personality. You are the only person who can be the southernmost bagpiper. That title belongs to you. Call it what you want. You were there for me and you showed me around. I respect you for who you are and I hope I can see you again. Life is very strange, but I guess you already know that.

1/02/2008 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home